Monday, September 8, 2008

Looking back

Yesterday, September 7, was the birthday of my late grandmother Suzanne. We called her Granny Sue. She passed away 11 yrs ago this past august and I still have memories of her. I was thinking last night, how she passed away right before she got to meet any great grandchildren. She died from Cancer. I still remember when we found out she had it, will be a day I will never forget.

It was in 1996, the day of my Junior Prom. My mom, myself, my date (soon to be husband/ex husband and Selese's dad) and my Granny all went out to the park right before prom to get some nice photos taken. Well that never happened. As we were walking to the spot we wanted to go, my Granny tripped and fell on the sidewalk, splitting her head open and breaking her pink finger basically in half. All I remember was there was a lot of blood. Doug, my date, gave my mom his jacket to cover her head wounds and then he ran off to the nearby Swimming Pool building to call 911. Most after that was a blur. I felt soo bad because she was out there for me, if I hadn't wanted to get pics done at the park, she never would've been out there to trip. But some people say it was a blessing in disguise because at the hospital they found the cancer. She hung in there for another year, was able to see me get married and graduate in May but then passed in August. I miss you a lot. I take out my old wedding photos just so I can see her. when me daughter was born a year and 2 months after she passed, she got Suzanne for her middle name in rememberance. Granny Sue was a wonderful person, she could be a tough old lady and she sure knew how to whip you into shape if you weren't behaving but shewas also veryloving. One thing I remember about her house was she always has orange slices candy. And when we had hiccups we'd go to her house (she lived right next door) to get a spoonful of sugar even tho we had some at our house. There was just something more healing to get it from Granny.
So Happy (late) Birthday Granny Sue, I love you and I haven't forgotten you, I often imagine you are looking down on me and my family and keeping us safe.
I love you!

No comments: